Man is a social animal, there is no doubt about it. There is one thing that is a hundred percent certain is that the key to being happy is to build solid meaningful relationships with those around you. It is much easier to go through life when you have friends that you can count on. They will stand by your side always. No matter whether you want someone to go out with Friday night, or help you with your home move in Nunhead, or you just want someone to talk to, you will always have someone to call. Generally, people who know how to nourish and maintain strong ties with people are happier, more fulfilled and successful in life. So how to you manage that?
Tips for making people like you
Naturally, there is no universal formula about building and keeping relationships in a good condition, but we can assure you if you follow those easy steps, you will be much more successful than if you do not:
- Learn to love yourself. There is way to like other people if you do not like yourself. If you are happy with your own life, then people will feel attracted to you too.
- Listen and understand. Empathy is a very important thing. People will seek you out if they know that they can count on you when they need someone to talk to, a person who would listen without judging. Of course, they will be ready to do the same thing for you too, should you ask them.
- Grow a thick skin. You should avoid taking everything you hear or see personally. You cannot expect to find everyone you like up to your tastes. Avoid outbursts, especially in public. This will both help you build lasting relationships, because you will be a more likeable person, and your life would be generally more pleasant too.
- Stay positive. No one likes grumpy people. Think about it, whom you would prefer to spend time with – someone who is always down, or someone you lifts up the spirits of those around you. We thought so. So, just try to be the latter type.
- Stay in touch. When you struck a friendship with someone, do not wait for them to always call you. Inquire about how they are, and invite them to go out every once in a while. This will make them feel validated.
- Be yourself. There is no easier way to maintain a friendship than to find people who like you for who you are. Do not pretend to be someone else just to get in a particular social group, because that is not going to be pleasant for you.
- The best friend to a meaningful relationship is the common interest. The best way to find people that you like is to join a social group that is built around something that you like – being sports, films, music or even your job. You will find it much more manageable to nurture such relationships.